Advice for GCSE/As/A Level Students

Post Results Support

I am a GCSE/A Level student: Exams

On Wednesday 18th March 2020 the UK Government announced that the summer (May/June) exam session would be cancelled.

This means that any students in Year 11, 12 and 13 who were due to sit GCSEs, AS or A Level exams respectively, will no longer be doing so in the summer (May/June) session.

The UK Government has provided an update as to how GCSE and A Level will be awarded.

The full press release can be found here:

Letter to students - summer 2020 grading

A message for all GCSE, AS and A level students this summer

I understand how unsettling the past weeks have been for you, since the announcement that exams have been cancelled this summer, and that you are urgently waiting for news. I wanted to let you know what we are doing to provide you with grades. Our over-riding aim in this is to be fair to students this summer and to make sure you are not disadvantaged in your progress to sixth form, college, university, apprenticeships, training or work because of these unprecedented conditions.

How will grades be calculated?

Your school or college will be asked to send exam boards two pieces of information for each of your subjects, based on what they know about your work and achievements:

  • the grade they believe you were most likely to get if teaching, learning and exams had happened as planned

  • within each subject, the order of students at your school or college, by performance, for each grade; this information will be used to standardise judgements – allowing fine tuning of the standard applied across schools and colleges

Your school or college will consider a range of things like your classwork and homework, your results in assignments and any mock exams, any non-exam assessment or coursework you might have done, and your general progress during your course.

This information will allow us, with exam boards, to standardise grades across schools and colleges, to make sure that, as far as possible, results are fair and that students are not advantaged or disadvantaged because their schools or colleges are more generous or harsh than others when making those judgements. That means the final grade you get could be different from the one your school or college sends to the exam board.

Do I need to complete any new work for my school or college to submit a grade?

Your school or college is not required to set additional mock exams or homework for your centre assessment grade, and you won’t be disadvantaged if you were not set, or were unable to complete, any work given out after schools were closed.

Can I see the grades my school or college submits for me?

No, this information will be confidential. Please don’t ask your teachers, or anyone else at your school or college, to tell you the grades they will be sending to the exam boards or where they have placed you in the order of students; they will not be allowed to share this with you.

I am a private candidate – what does this mean for me?

If you are a private candidate (for example, home-schooled, following distance-learning programmes or studying independently) the centre you are entering with should include you where the head teacher or principal is confident that they and their staff have seen sufficient evidence of your achievement to make an objective judgement.

We are urgently exploring whether there are alternative options for those students who do not have an existing relationship with a centre and who need results this summer to progress.

Unfortunately this is unlikely to be possible for all private candidates, some of whom may instead need to take exams in the autumn to get their grades.

We appreciate that this is a matter of real concern to private candidates and will provide an update as soon as possible. We have asked organisations that represent universities and FE colleges to consider the steps that providers could take when making admissions decisions this summer for any private candidates who do not receive a grade. They have told us that they believe that institutions will consider a range of other evidence and information for these students to allow them to progress wherever possible.

When will I get my results?

We’re working hard to get results out as soon as is possible – results won’t be delayed after the dates they were expected in August, and ideally they will be issued a little earlier, so you can have the certainty you need.

Can I take my exams another time?

We are working with exam boards to offer additional exams in the autumn term as soon as it is possible to do so. We’ll let you know about these in the coming weeks.

The information we have published covers GCSEs, AS and A levels, plus Extended Project Qualifications and Additional Extension Awards in maths.

You can find out more about which qualifications and students are included, and the current arrangements for those which are not, in our detailed guidance; along with answers to other questions that you and your parents or carers might have. We will keep updating our guidance as new information becomes available, including to share details about vocational and technical qualifications as soon as we can, so please keep an eye on our website.

Please be reassured that the grades you get this summer will look exactly the same as in previous years, and they will have equal status with universities, colleges and employers, to help you move forward in your lives as planned.

With every best wish,

Sally Collier Chief Regulator, Ofqual

Appeals and Autumn Exam Arrangements

Further information on the appeals process and the autumn exam arrangements can now be found here:

Latest COVID-19 Advice for Students Studying Abroad

**UPDATED: 2nd November 2020**


As you may be aware there is an outbreak of COVID-19 with different countries adopting differing approaches in containing the outbreak. The Government of Gibraltar has implemented a number of different strategies. It is important that everyone follows the Public Health advice that has been issued so far and that everyone understands the importance of taking the simple health and hygiene measures outlined therein. The reason for this is to protect the most vulnerable in our community, meaning those over 70 or with a relevant, pre-existing medical condition.

Where can I find more information on the New National Restrictions?

The New National Restrictions have been published on the UK Government website. The documentation can be found here and must be adhered to whilst you are in the UK.

There is specific guidance for students with respect to travel which reads as follows:

If you live at university, you must not move back and forward between your permanent home and student home during term time. You should only return home at the end of term for Christmas. We will publish further guidance on the end of term.

The Department of Education does not advise students to return to Gibraltar unless their University has advised students to return home.

Travel Arrangements and Examinations

You will need to keep yourself abreast of travel information when booking flights around key university dates which require in-person attendance. It is your responsibility as a student to ensure that you are able to sit examinations and hand in assessments set by Universities. We advise you to keep yourself informed of any potential disruption to your travel arrangements so that you are able to make any alternative arrangements.

Current and up-to date information on flights to and from Gibraltar can be found on

What do I do if I am unable to get to University for an examination as a result of travel disruption?

You will need to make arrangements with the University to see if you are able to sit the exam at an external local examination centre. With respect to Gibraltar, Bleak House operates as an external centre which some Universities may allow you to use under exceptional circumstances. In the event that you are not able to travel back to the UK for an assessment, the responsibility for making these arrangements will lie with you as an individual. You should contact your University BEFORE you are due to hand in or sit any assessment to make any arrangements necessary.

What do I do when I am Returning To Gibraltar

If you are returning to Gibraltar you will be required to adhere to the following conditions:

  • - You are to call (+350) 200 41818, 4 days before the day of travel with details of your travel arrangements or earlier if possible.

  • - COVID tests will be booked prior to your arrival.

  • - You will be tested on day 1 and day 5 (or as directed by PH Gibraltar).

  • - You will be required to self-isolate until the second test is conducted and you are advised that the self-isolation is no longer required. More information on this, and other matters can be found here:

  • - On arrival in Gibraltar you are to make your way directly to your accommodation. If you are staying in a hotel, you must remain in your room and not use any of the public areas.

  • - You will normally be communicated the result of your tests on the same day of the test.

  • - A negative test on day 1 still requires you to stay in self-isolation until a second test is conducted and is negative.

  • - You should expect to be contacted regularly by GHA personnel during your isolation period to ensure the isolation is being complied with.

  • - If you develop symptoms or feel unwell at any stage you are to immediately call 111, even if you have already been tested.

What do I do if I am diagnosed with COVID-19?

If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 whilst in University you need to ensure that you follow NHS guidelines. Additionally, you should submit mitigating circumstances forms to your University PRIOR to sitting any examination or handing in any assignment which may have been disrupted by your illness.

If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 whilst in Gibraltar you need to ensure that you follow GHA advice. The GHA is operating a helpline which can be accessed by dialing 111. You should make contact with your University and keep them informed of your absence. Once again you should submit any mitigating circumstances forms to your University PRIOR to sitting any examination or handing in any assignment which may be disrupted by your illness.

Who Can I Contact To Get Further Advice?

The Gibraltar House in London is providing additional support and can be contacted by UK students seeking further guidance. Students are advised not to visit Gibraltar House in person as the office is closed in accordance with the New National Restrictions operating in the UK. The Gibraltar House London team is now working remotely in compliance with the UK Covid - 19 rules. Students should not attempt to visit the office in the Strand in person. The main telephone line for student enquiries operating between 10:00 and 16:00 UK time is 0203 286 6752 if that is engaged 0208 133 2381. Students will be asked to provide their name, telephone contact and email in order for the team to get back to them.

In addition you can contact the Department of Education on

Education Counselling Support Line

The Department of Education has set up a counselling support line. This will operate from 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday. To get in touch please call:

200 12499

If you wish to receive support outside the operating hours . Please fill in this form here

Latest Flight Information

Useful Travel Links

The links below will provide you access to the latest flight information available:

Contact Details

The Department of Education Scholarship Team can be contacted on: